Sunday, November 25, 2012

Farewells

I'm not even sure how to start this post other than to say that I'm très, très depressed while writing it. This past weekend was a lot of our extremely close friends' last weekend in Busan. As far as a group of friends go, I have to say that I believe ours is the best there could be. Of course, I may be biased, but regardless, we have a good one.

Throughout the past year, the group has grown and shrunk slightly but over the summer we got a pretty solid troop of people that have really stuck together to form what I consider pretty much the sexiest, most fun crew of people in town. There are about 15-20 of us who do anything and everything together as a whole and when someone isn't there everyone is like WTF.

If you read my last post you'll remember that just recently have I really come out to really and truly enjoy what this amazing group of friends I have has to offer. Not that I didn't know before, I just only appreciated it until 2:00am every other weekend or so. Now that I do know, it makes it that much harder to see people go.

What we do, this job, this teaching abroad thing...it's not real life. It's a fun life, of course, but for most of us it's temporary. Above all else, it's pretty much just a constant vacation. Yes, we work ("work") but it's just not real life. The friends you meet here aren't your best friends from home that you've known for 15 years but once you get here and meet these people that will be your family for a year...they will become those new best friends. The nature of this job and what we do is that it's generally for a year, some of us stay longer but mostly it's for that one short year. So because of that, there is always going to be someone you know leaving. Whether they are going back to their home countries or going travelling for a while, they will be leaving. This is what this last weekend was about. Saying goodbye to Zack, Jess, Sarah, Will and Eric. I love them all, each one for a million different reasons, and right now they are on a plane to Cambodia. Zack and Jess will be back in three weeks to pick up their things to go back home so I'll see them then (and then hopefully go visit them when I'm in the US) but as far as Sarah, Will and Eric...will I ever see them again? I don't know. It's just the nature of this job. And it's hands down the worst part of it. Leaving. Goodbyes. There will always be some happening. Those five were really the first of our friends to go...after now it's just a slow trickle of people going back home. I believe Brittany is next, then John and Ryan, then me and then Al.

We still have some amazing friends left in town, so I'm going to enjoy my last few months here (dying for them to be over and done with!) and then it'll be my turn to get on outta dodge. Until then, some of my favorite pictures from this weekend and recent ones past...











No comments:

Post a Comment