Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Some Fireworks & A Little Game of Thrones

There isn't much I can say about the Busan Fireworks Festival other than it's the greatest fireworks spectacle I've ever witnessed. I've been waiting months to see again after my first round last year. It's an hour of fireworks of gargantuan proportions all timed and set to music, leaving you wondering hooooow!??! (Al's answer: Computers. Way to ruin the magic, AL!) This year they had some Celine Dion, Adele and Coldplay thrown in there, much to the delight of the foreigners. Something like two million people watch them with, I swear, a million of those packed on Gwangalli beach like sardines. Al and I went down at 3:00 to lay claim to an area of sand. It's entirely necessary to go that early or you won't get a spot; some people even camped out the night before! They start lighting up the sky at 8:00 sharp, and once past a certain time, around 7:30, you cannot move anywhere. Literally. If you are on the beach you are in the best position because people can only sit so close, but if you're stuck standing out on the street you won't be able to go anywhere until they are finished. You are skin to skin in every direction. Gina, bless her, was late as usual and didn't make it onto the beach so she was stuck out on the street squished on all sides by Koreans, and the one behind her, in her words, "had his hand up my crack for fifty minutes".

Al and I laid down three blankets and hung out until everyone showed up, all of them with much thanks for saving spots on the beach for them. I was happy to do it, the fireworks are worth it! I actually got much better pictures last year, my phone was low on battery and then eventually died in the middle of it this time. Bummer. But for the full effect, watch the videos at the bottom!

Every millimeter of this sand is packed with people












After we all oohed and ahhed and marveled at how they manage to put on such a great show, we all parted ways for a few hours and Al and I went to Landon and Gina's to all get ready for HALLOWEEN!!!!

 I love, love, love Halloween. Perhaps it was my religious upbringing that prevented me from trick-or-treating as a child that makes me so fond of if now as an adult. Whatever the reasoning, I think it rivals Christmas as one of the greatest holidays of the year. In recent years, it's becoming more and more of an adult holiday as well which means that I still have lots of years of being able to dress up as whomever I please and look like a total idiot or a total slut once a year. 

This year, Al and I decided to go as Khal Drogo and Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones. If you haven't heard of it then you possibly have been living on another planet. It's a book series turned HBO smash. Early last week I went to the fabric market with a friend and got all my supplies to make Al's costume. I ordered my dress and Al's wig and beard online and my mom shipped it here right on time. Other than that, Al's is all handmade by yours truly. We walked down to the parties area of KSU and immediately Al was garnering lots of attention. I helped it along but he was the star. He took millions of pictures with strangers and everyone had something to say about our costumes. We entered the contest, I hope we win something! We'll find out later this week. Enjoy!







Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment